Dec 29, 2016

Bucket Of Sads: The "I Really Just Can't" Edition!


I really just cannot. Four celebrity deaths in a row! To whom do I complain? Who organizes these things? And can I trade this or that for at least one of them? Please?

In lieu of that, I suppose we'll all have to face harsh reality. Me and my Cuban Luvuh were shocked by the sudden death of Debbie Reynolds - right on the heels of her daughter Carrie's death. Sure, Debbie lived a full life (and how), but still, the timing was heartbreaking.


As for Carrie's death, that was equally startling, if only because she seemed so indomitable.


In an especially cruel twist of fate, both Debbie and Carrie will be featured in an upcoming documentary, one that reportedly has the aging Debbie concerned about who'll look after Carrie once she's gone. See what I mean? I just can't!


The death of George Michael came out of nowhere. Like Carrie, he, too, had his demons, yet seemed well on his way toward beating them. And like both Carrie and Debbie, before his death, he just completed work on an upcoming documentary.


The documentary is reportedly about the making of his second solo studio LP "Listen Without Prejudice," but his final studio LP "Patience" is just as good, if not better - especially the ballads - yet it's seldom heard. Let's change that!
Finally, Fran Jeffries may not be an immediately familiar name, but if you've seen the original "Pink Panther," then you'll surely remember her as the ultra-chic singing snow bunny.


Fran died just before Christmas, but she's left us with roles in several noteworthy movies and a choice selection of appropriately seductive LPs.


And that's all - for now - and Plastic Jesus willing, that'll be it for quite some time.

By the way, it's been such a hectic holiday season for moi, so apologies for the lack of pastings as of late. I'll be back shortly after the New Year with scads of goodies, I swear, and hopefully a few less Buckets to toss your way.

Be good, drink to excess, call your mother, and tickle someone mercilessly. 

19 comments:

wiredream said...

So much death. I can't...it's been way too much for me to handle. On top of these, the man who wrote my favorite book ("Watership Down") -Richard Adams - passed too (he was 96, but still!

There hasn't been a more painful week this year (save for the week Mein Trumpf got elected).

I need a vacation. Perhaps with you and your Cuban luvah!!!



Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing us many cheerful earfuls throughout the year which helped us muster through the worst year ever.

RayKay said...

Thank you for all your uploads this year. I hope 2017 will be a better year for you and everyone. Have a great New Year!

David Federman said...

The gods are angry with us for electing an eighth-rate celebrity president. So they took as many first-rate celebrities as they could. Maybe I should see it more mercifully: the gods spared them the hard reign that's gonna start falling after January 20th. Grieving for David Bowie was the only kind of event that could stop me grieving for America. Happy New Year 2020, if we live that long and regain our sanity.

Burney Redding said...

Glad/Sad to have you back on the keys. No posts since Turkey Day had me worried; figuring something really Good/Bad had occurred to you. Clinging to the Farmer, not the Ladder. Wishing U Happier 2017 than the Drekful '16.

BR

tony said...

Guess the Academy Awards will run a little longer this year with all the obits. Quite frightening how the deaths piled up near the end of December: Such a loss of talent, yet they left behind so much to savor for the rest of our lives.

John said...

Thank you for these and all the other posts. We also lost one of my favorite performers, Kay Starr. This has indeed been a year of goodbyes.We share a bucket of sads that runneth over.

The Cheerful Earfull! said...

Oh, Kay Starr! One of my all-time favorites.
Scroll down on the main page and you’ll see a Bucket Of Sads page just for her from earlier this month.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

espo said...

Hi Cheerful !!...I hope you and your Cuban Luvah have agreat 2017 !!!...keep safe and keep the Music rollin' !!!...cheers....Luigi !

espo said...

Hi Cheerful...its me again.."Luigi"....just come across this you was wondering in July time wher the "Kay Starr" tracks came from well here they are...Cheers....Luigi..

https://www.discogs.com/Kay-Starr-Fabulous-Kay-Starr-Sings/release/4589772

The Cheerful Earfull! said...

Interesting. It’s a different line-up of songs from the US version.

Anonymous said...

The regular password doesn't seem to be working on DR best of link. Has it changed and I missed it?

The Cheerful Earfull! said...

No, it's the same. Maybe file got corrupted during your DL...?
I just DL'd and used the PW and everything was fine.

Anonymous said...

It's not working on anything. I thought it was "THECHEERFUL"... am I mistaken?

The Cheerful Earfull! said...

The PW is the same. Maybe try another browser, or use AdBlock. All items on this post are working, along with the PW, and they've been DL'd hundreds of times already, so I’m not sure how to help you. Again, your best bet is to try another browser and make sure you're using AdBlock. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I'm a long time fan. This is the first time this has happened to me. I'll keep trying!

The Cheerful Earfull! said...

Is anyone else having Anon's problem?
Still none on my end.

Corto Maltese said...

Merci pour ce merveilleux blog !!!
http://lazlokovaks.blogspot.fr/