Nov 5, 2016

Bucket Of Sads: Kay Starr


This one hurts. The one and only Kay Starr, a master of pop, jazz and country, and a personal favorite of Billie Holiday's and Patsy Cline's, has officially left the ranch.

"I am a firm believer," she once said, "that a singer is no more than an actor or an actress set to music."

Celebrate her flat-out fabulous performances in the collections below ("Back To The Roots" is an absolute must), and by all means, explore here, 'cause Kay and I go way back, and I'll be sure to post more. And thanks to the anonymous commenter who tipped me off to this. I don't know how I missed it. Pardon me while I reach for a hanky. There's something in my eye. Allergies. Yes, that must be it.


6 comments:

Luis said...

Sad to learn. I love her singing.

tony said...

Although she is mainly remembered for her hits, Kay Starr shines through jazz standards. Just listen to her at age 83 at a Les Paul concert and asked to come up to the stage and join in for one number: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5gFaOp5K7Y
Remarkable!

Luis said...

Backt to the Roots
1-12
Red Norvo (vibes), George Auld (ts), Richard “Blue” Mitchell (tpt), Al Viola (g, Nesbert “Stix” Hooper (d), Jimmy Rowles (p), Monty Budwig (b) | 1975

13~15
Charlie Shavers (tpt) Willie Smith (as) Stan Getz (ts) Red Norvo (vibes) Nat King Cole (p) Oscar Moore (g) Johnny Miller (b) Louis Bellson (d) | Live at Gene Norman’s Just Jazz Concert, Civic Auditorium, Pasadena, CA - June 23, 1947

01. Exactly Like You (Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh) 3:00
02. When a Woman Loves a Man (Bernie Hanighen, Gordon Jenkins, Johnny Mercer) 4:35
03. [What Can I Say] After I Say I'm Sorry? (Walter Donaldson, Abe Lyman) 2:15
04. You've Changed (Bill Carey, Carl Fischer) 4:30
05. After You've Gone (Henry Creamer, Turner Layton) 2:25
06. What Is This Thing Called Love? (Cole Porter) 2:45
07. I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plans (Howard Dietz, Arthur Schwartz) 3:05
08. Limehouse Blues (Philip Braham, Douglas Furber) 2:25
09. Mean to Me (Fred E. Ahlert, Roy Turk) 3:55
10. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down [And Write Myself a Letter] (Fred E. Ahlert, Joe Young) 2:50
11. I'm Thru With Love (Gus Kahn, Fud Livingston, Matty Malneck) 4:10
12. Crazy Rhythm (Irving Caesar, Roger Wolfe Kahn, Joseph Meyer) 2:15
13. Good-For-Nothin' Joe (Rube Bloom, Ted Koehler) 3:39
14. Ain't Misbehavin' (Harry Brooks, Andy Razaf, Fats Waller) 2:35
15. Them There Eyes (Maceo Pinkard, Doris Tauber, William Tracey) 2:31

The Cheerful Earfull! said...

Thanks, Luis!

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

omg I totally missed her passing. omg! I cant believe this. thank god she made it to 94....good lord. Kay....

John said...

Thanks for posting this. Kay was always very special to me. I mourn her passing and am grateful for your tribute!