Sep 20, 2015

Bucket Of Sads: Jackie Collins


"My one weakness is leopard print," said the goddess of print. 

You can have your twatlight vampires and fifty shades of tacky and whatevs; I'll take Jackie any day. I was first introduced to her at age fifteen while working at a movie theatre as an usher. There was nothing to do while the movie was actually running and Debbie the manager took pity on me. "Here," she said, tossing me her well-worn copy of Chances. "You'll never be bored again." I read it one night. I'm not kidding. I was hooked. But what, you ask, does this have to do with music?

I'm so glad you asked. In 2000, to accompany the release of her latest smash novel Lethal Seduction, she put out her very own must-have CD, "Jackie Collins Presents Lethal Seduction," a Glam-O-Rama Jackie-Jackie-Jackie Cheerful Exclusive! (courtesy of my Cuban Luvuh, who had to dig for it).

"Sex! Passion! Danger! Romance!" screams the CD copy (because what else would it say?). Included are songs by Jackie's favorite female singers, like Blondie, Eartha Kitt, Sisters Sledge, plus - are you sitting? - Jackie herself, who lends her naughty-Brit-lady spoken-voice to the final title track (it's disco) (of course). Fear not for Jackie. She's flown to a gilded Heaven with sex, intrigue, endless nose candy and heart-shaped swimming pools.


While you download, feast on Saunders and French as Jackie and Joan (with plenty of leopard print!):