Apr 26, 2020

Jill Takes The Lead, Williams Does It Easy, Plus Sisters Misbehavin', Angelo Gets Spooky And A Singin' Sisters Secret Song!


If I hear, "In these uncertain times" from a TV commercial one more time, I'm going to explode. Ka-boom! You know the ones I'm talking about, as in, "In these uncertain times, Lexus" or "AT&T" or "Samsung" want you to know that they have thoughts 'n' feelings 'n' suchlike. Oh, and just as important, they want to remind you that you can shop for their junk online. So thoughtful! Ka-boom! There I go again.

But wait. What does that have to do with Jill Perryman, an Aussie Stage Queen extraordinaire? Absolutely nothing (but I had to vent). It's a shame she's not better known - like her fellow Aussie Stage Queen, Caroline O'Connor - but then that's the way it goes in the States; if you aren't an American or British-born stage celebrity, we don't know you (unless you're this).

AnywayHughJackmanhasaterriblesingingvoice, Jill gifted us with "Leading Lady" in 1975 - a Jumpin' Jill Cheerful Exclusive! just for you - and trust me, it's everything you want it to be. Included here is her nicely scalding version of "Ladies Who Lunch" and her hot-cha take on "Let Me Entertain You" which delivers on the promise. And how. I'd love to see her live one day.


Today we have a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a sphinx. Yes, it's another Mystery Lady™. Or yet another jazz songbird who recorded only one LP, then - poof! - vanished into oblivion. Unsurprising, as always, since her LP dropped in the late-1950s during the inexorable rise of rock 'n' roll, which decimated the jazz songbird market.


In Easy's case, it's a shame, because her slinky-gal vocals are a lot of fun, and, yes, quite skilled, thankyouverymuch. In her delightful 1957 LP, "Easy Does It" - a Wowza Williams Cheerful Exclusive! - her catlike vocals wring every last bit of innuendo from "I Wanna Be Loved" and many more. I found precious little about her life and career during my brief internet search, but I dearly hope she's winking and hip-swinging somewhere as we speak.


Guess who's been touring for nearly 40 years (with only our infectious scourge putting them on pause)?


Yes, it's the immortal "Pointer Sisters," who I first became aware of as a wee one on "The Carol Burnett Show." I dearly wish I had seen their touring production of "Ain't Misbehavin'," which hit the road to sold-out houses in 1995, but never made it to Broadway. A CD of a touring production is very rare. But then this is The Pointer Sisters.

It's also hugely entertaining, of course, and fascinating in terms of how the Sisters interpret Fats Waller's indelible jazz tunes, which are sometimes markedly different from the original cast versions.


Can you believe I just saw David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive?" It's true. My Cuban Luvah made me watch it this weekend. I was not disappointed. Obvi.


To the Cuban's surprise, I was not confused by what was a "dream" and what was "reality." But that's probably because I've seen Brian De Palma's equally brilliant "Femme Fatale" many times, which has a similar dream/reality story and structure and was released barely one year after "Mulholland Drive."

Which means that Lynch and De Palma were developing their stories at the same time. Mind blown (sometimes these things are just in the ether). They'd make a fascinating double feature, what with "Mulholland Drive's" romantic dream and heartbreaking reality; and "Femme Fatale's" heartbreaking dream and romantic reality.

And, yes, Angelo Badalamenti's haunted score adds immeasurably to a movie which left me, by the end, with a feeling of overwhelming sorrow more than anything else (something that the original reviews, to my surprise, barely touched on). It's a great movie, and great score, too.


The Secret Song File continues to please her neighbors by lounging in front of her window in her scanties. Do you have binoculars? Then you might spot her favorite new album, a boppin', swingin', jet-propelled collection of jazz tunes performed by a trio of sisters with an Italian surname. So many hints from one li'l peek!


Sing along with it, dance to it, strip-tease to it. No one's watching. Unless your window shades are open.

Is it legal to be a peeper these days? Asking for a friend. 

Shimmy 'n' shake in the comments, if you like!